Recipe: Scallopini of chicken by chef Angela Gray
Here's the recipe for a Scallopini of Chicken with Wild Garlic. It has great flavour. Serve with Green Bean Salad with Caramelised Red Onion & Crushed Potatoes. This recipe serves six people.
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 stick celery
- ¼ fennel bulb or a teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1 small onion Leek trimmings
- 3 peppercorns & sea salt to taste
- 5 sprigs thyme, 5 sprigs parsley & 2 bay leaves
- 6 Free-range chicken breasts, butterflied
For the wild garlic salsa:
- 100g wild garlic
- 100g spinach
- 50g parsley
- 3 sprigs of fennel or 1 of dill or tarragon
- 200ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Sea salt, lemon and pepper to taste
1. Finely slice up all the vegetables for the poaching stock and place in a large pan. Add the peppercorns, herbs and water. Season with salt. Place on your hob and bring to the boil, cook for 15 minutes then turn down the heat. Add the chicken and poach gently for 10 minutes then turn off the heat, cover and leave for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile make the wild garlic salsa. Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and blanche the wild garlic, spinach and herbs for 30 seconds. Drain and refresh under cold water to set the colour. Place in a tall jug, add the olive oil, half the pine nuts and the olive oil. Use a stick blender to blitz the ingredients to a smooth sauce. Season with salt, pepper lemon juice and stir in the remaining pine nuts.
3. Drain the chicken and place on a plate, spoon some of the salsa over and serve the rest in a bowl at the table for people to help themselves.
4. Strain the poaching stock, cool and then refrigerate or freeze to use for a delicious simple homemade spring minestrone soup, you can finish it with some of the wild garlic salsa.
5. I like to garnish the plate with crisp slices of pancetta cooked on a baking sheet between 2 oiled sheets of parchment or foil and then another baking sheet on top.
Then why not visit your nearest Masterclass Kitchens retailer. They will listen to what your heart desires, then create a kitchen that is right for you, your lifestyle and your budget.
With over 90 retailers across the UK and Channel Islands, they will be on hand to create the kitchen of your dreams and be your personal design experts.Find A Retailer